Tuesday, December 20, 2011

some of my favorites

Apparently, it’s really trendy to talk about healthy living tips right before we’re about to stuff our faces with amazing food. If you think about it, we spend a few months of the year just bursting with excitement at all the delicious treats we get to splurge on (maybe not you, but I do for sure!). Of course “they” would wait until that season to make me feel guilty about all that sweet, fatty food I’m planning on consuming. However, “they” have a point – a good one – and while I’m still planning on eating all kinds of treats, I do have some personal tips to share. These are foods that I’ve been incorporating into my diet the past few months, they’re quick, easy, healthy and they make my body feel incredibly well.
Here are my suggestions for your pre and post-holiday menus:

Current favorite soup: Amy’s Organic Lentil soup.

Let’s face it – nothing beats a hot bowl of soup on a cold winter day. With 8 grams of protein and 9 grams of fiber this soup will be sure to keep you feeling full for a while – and it’s only 180 calories. Combine it with a fresh side salad and you have one beautiful, tasty meal at home – or throw it in a Pyrex dish (like I often do) and take it to work with you.

Current favorite sandwich: Turkey and Avocado Mash

Don’t know what to do with that leftover turkey? In my family we make sandwiches and lots of them. So use your leftovers in a combination with fresh sprouts, tomatoes, and hummus (or avocado mash below) and stuff them in a whole wheat pita. Whole grains will help clear out some of that less-than-desirable cholesterol, lean meat is a great source of protein, sprouts and tomatoes are vegetables that add a cool crunch and fresh texture to any sandwich, and avocado is a great source of healthy fats. Rather than using unhealthy condiments, the hummus or avocado is a really great addition with more flavor. This sandwich is incredibly filling, but if it’s not enough you can combine it with some carrot sticks and you’re set!

Avocado mash: Take 1 ripe/softened avocado, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and cilantro to taste and mash. I know, complicated right? If you’ve got some lime juice and a dollop of sour cream (not so healthy, but tasty) – then go ahead and just make yourself a delicious guac dip.

Current Favorite Breakfast: Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal

When my doctor told me that I had borderline high cholesterol I was not excited. I like my butter and baking! Oatmeal is a great option for breakfast, especially if you combine it with some healthy protein – it’s bound to keep you full throughout your morning. You can use the instant stuff that’s loaded with an excessive amount sugar, or you can make your own.

I use McCann’s Quick and Easy Irish Oatmeal – it cooks in 5-7 minutes and still has a bit of crunch to it (so I don’t feel like I’m eating complete mush). While my water is heating, I’ll toss in pieces of dried, unsulfured and unsweetened apples (courtesy of Trader Joe’s), BUT when I have time to cut up fresh apples they’re the best. While the oatmeal is cooking, I add a generous amount of cinnamon and a couple dashes of allspice. 1 tsp of brown sugar will MORE than cover the sweet tooth in me, and bam: a hot breakfast in 7 minutes. If you’re like me and you need protein in the morning, scramble an egg white or two with some salt and pepper. Egg whites give you the protein without all the fat and cholesterol in a whole egg.

Favorite Vegetable: Steamed Kale with Apricots (or no apricots)

Kale is also a trendy food lately. It’s a great dark green, leafy veggie that is incredibly versatile. I toss it in a glass bowl with a bit of water, some garlic powder, pepper, and dried, unsulfured and unsweetened apricots and steam it in the microwave until it’s just barely soft. You can toss in a few chopped walnuts or almonds if you’d like for some added crunch. The apricots provide a tangy flavor. If that sounds disgusting to you, by all means the kale alone with some garlic is fabulous. It’s a great source of fiber, too!

Favorite Hot Beverage: Green Teas and Mint Teas

Enjoy your eggnog (for those of you who like it) and your hot chocolate, but before and after the holidays try some green tea. It’s no secret that it’s packed with antioxidants, but it tastes good and clean. Tea mixtures that combine green and mint teas are my favorite because the mint just boosts flavor and adds a really fresh element. Moroccan Mint Green Tea is a great option. If you MUST have your hot drinks sweet – go for a tea that has fruity tones in it – like pomegranate or blueberry green teas (which are also good cold). Cut out the sugar, or at least half of it. I’m a big fan of sugar – but I’d rather eat my sugar than drink it. I encourage you to choose your sugar wisely – eat what you really want and like, but then say no to the calories that really aren’t worth consuming.

Here’s wishing you a very Merry Christmas from Music City,

<3 a

PS: pictures of a Nashville Christmas to come – promise.

No comments: