Friday, January 6, 2012

worthy investments

I was talking to a very dear friend of mine a few weeks ago about how much I longed for Jesus to restore childlike faith in me. I’ve missed that passionate young girl whose heart beat for the nations to come to know Jesus as their Savior and Lord. Somewhere she got lost, her dreams were placed on the back burner, and her attention more and more fixed on “more practical matters” like work, saving her money, and setting herself up for a “comfortable” future.
I was standing in front of my bathroom mirror the other day getting ready to go out to lunch with my roommate. With my mascara wand in my hand, I realized how much I missed the girl who didn’t even know how to put concealer on her face. The girl whose average day did not include a full face of makeup because she was secure without it.

There’s nothing inherently wrong with working, being savvy with your finances, or wearing makeup. That’s not the point. The point is that none of those things will last, but they all require an investment of your time, attention and energy.

I’ve become more and more restless with myself – more and more tired of investing in the temporary. Somewhere, at some point, I stopped walking in the gracious truth that the Living God made me in His image – stitched me together with intention and beauty – and that nothing I could ever do or say could change His unconditional love for me. That He is not weak toward me, but mighty in me. That He’s pleased with me – not because of me, but because of Jesus’ righteousness that covers me. That He is not concerned with my outward appearance, but with my heart – and my heart will never be satisfied in any person, place, or thing but Him alone. And when my life is over, which it will be one day, I don’t want to be known for leaving a hefty savings account, etc. but as someone who had their eyes fixed on what is unseen. As someone who invested in the eternal.

Praise God for His faithfulness towards us. He is all about restoring, rebuilding, and healing us as He continues to make us more like Jesus. And He invites us to ask Him for things, like wisdom and willingness.  

<3 a

No comments: