Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Costa Rica Journal 1

this was the easiest way that i could think of to tell everyone who supported me and prayed over me about my trip to Costa. Instead of writing a novel of a thank-you letter to everyone, I decided to copy parts of my journal here. I just enclosed the link to my blog so they could read it if they wanted. i'll warn you - God did a lot and I learned a lot - so these might get lengthy. you've been warned.
pictures are up on facebook and links have been posted below, but i might throw some up here for fun.
here we go - part one.
July 8th, 2009
Today is Wednesday, our 4th day in country and my first time writing. I know I'll forget a lot, but that's life.

Saturday was a long day of traveling. It was fun getting to know members of the team better. Charlie is the only translator I know from 2 years ago, I miss the old ones but the new guys are fun.


Hanging out in the Atlanta airport waiting to go to Liberia.

Sunday we went to churches after sleeping in the church in Rio Naranjo. We were suprised to have mattresses covered in sheets left from previous trips. My group (Russ, Zach and I) went to the church in Bijagua, where Russ spoke about being preoccupied. It was convicting. We also got to take communion - it was such a sweet glimpse of heaven. After church we moved into camp and got settled. We also went to the Assembly of God church that afternoon at 4pm. Lexi and Tyler shared their testimonies. I thought it was so cool that me and Lexi had talked about our stories - how God's given us our stories for a reason. She was worried on the plane that she may have to share her testimony, but she did great! We danced and sang with the kids after Mark spoke. We were all exhausted. They opened with 1 1/2 hours of music!! [I have a video of a young girl dancing in worship - such a beautiful sight. Sadly, the video is sideways (I always forget to hold my camera the right way!) and I can't upload it yet. ]



Maquala and Matt in front of the Assembly of God in Rio Naranjo


Monday we got to paint the local elementary school, like we did last time I was here. After painting and getting sunburnt, we hung out in the church and played soccer in Rio Naranjo. I met 4 awesome girls while painting - me and Dayel exchanged gifts (a hairtie for a paper picture of PoohBear). Our soccer team did well too. Luis, Andreas, and Carlos were amazing kids. I was exhausted - Lauren and I had run in the morning and played soccer all day.













Above: Dayel, Melissa and I.
Side: Alyssa.

No comments: