Wednesday, July 15, 2009

CR Journal - Tuesday

Tuesday was going to be spent painting, but instead we went door-to-door because of the rain. I was in a selfish funk and more preoccuppied about not having water. I missed out, BUT all 3 houses accepted the Lord - including Sarah, a cook from my previous trip. We headed back to camp for lunch and Tyler and Frank were talking about how much they loved and cared for those they spoke with. I knew I was more concerned with myself - the Gospel became mechanical - BLAH. That afternoon we went out again - on a street I had been down before. We got to share and pray with a family and we also got to talk with a believer. We prayed over his wife, Rosa, who's been in the hospital. He told us to stop by next time for coffee.


Half of the family that came to know the Lord - they came to VBS in Rio Naranjo! Continue to pray for them. He was diagnosed with stomach cancer and had surgery. While he's in remission, he's had to work odd jobs because of the surgery. Missing in the picture are his beautiful wife and older son.




This is the man who invited us for coffee!

In the next house I was able to share with a grandmother and Russ with her two granddaughters. One, Natalia, was a couple days away from having her own baby. All three prayed to receive Christ. In the afternoon, we played more soccer. Dayel, Melissa, Alyssa, and Freschia (iffy about the spelling) all came! We played soccer and painted nails. It was so gool to get to see the girls again, and I'll get to see them tomorrow, hopefully at the VBS. After playing we headed back. At group session Mark asked us what was most frustrating about our day. For my shallow self it was not having water, but almost all of the students said those who were so close to accepting Jesus but not - or they were upset because they were too shy, etc. I was upset because of my indifference, my pure funk and selfishness. He also asked us how we saw the Lord that day and the responses were so cool. Then he followed up his questions from the previous night - "What does God want to speak into your life?" and "What do you need to leave behind to follow Jesus?" I'm not sure, but I've been learning a lot about how little I like being exposed in the light. God is light. He is also love. His light fully exposes my sinful condition and my worthlessness, but it also reveals the immensity of His love and grace towards me. His light reveals my helplessness and yet He accepts me based on Christ's righteousness. I reason from myself to Him, trying to earn His acceptance. When I mess up, I feel like He's changed or distanced Himself but really I've altered and I've gone astray. His love for me doesn't change. So even though I hate it and struggle to receive it, I know that He's true and right. I have a feeling I need to leave myself behind and receive light and grace. [While I was watching and listening to the students share during session, the Lord grabbed my heart and opened my eyes up more to what He's been (still) teaching me. My shallow and selfish attitude was evident to me, and it wasn't okay or acceptable, but the Lord used it to break me of a little self-righteousness.]Maybe God's heart is simple - more so than I'd like to think. Maybe His heart is for the simple things and breaks over the complicated. Maybe it's about love, light, forgiveness, grace, mercy, hope - the one-word things instead of the complicated reasoning that's routed in pride and excuses for me. Maybe. [Note - I didn't say easy, I just said simple. Like child-like.]

Mark asking us questions during Tuesday night's session.

No comments: