Tuesday, August 30, 2011

oh mondays....

since our internet went out yesterday, this is a late posting of Monday's blog:
Well, it’s official. I am now a RN on VUMC’s post-partum floor!!! I’m so happy to have a home unit, a more routine schedule, and a great job on day shift. My managers and my nurse educator are wonderful, and I’m excited to be working with other girls from my residency “cohort.” While I’m excited, I think it would be misleading to say that I felt this excited when I got my assignment.

Of the entire Women’s Health group, all of us chose a particular unit for our “first choice.”  Of course, not everyone could be placed on that unit – so half of us knew we would be placed with another team. All of the teams were great, so it’s not like you would be placed in an unbearable position. That being said, I was still disappointed that I didn’t get my “first choice” when I read my initial assignment. Then I remembered what I had been praying these past few days – and that tinge of disappointment began to not sting so badly.

I was on the phone with a friend a few days ago, and it struck me at how very differently our lives had turned out. Both of us never imagined that we would be where we are today, and yet God’s faithfulness has been so evident in our lives. It is clear that He has brought each of us to where we are today in His sovereignty and by His grace. Though I never saw any of this coming, I am so blessed that my Father knows me better than I know myself. In everything, He has orchestrated all things, circumstances, and relationships for my good and for His glory – most of the time in spite of me. 

Here are some prayers that He has answered just in getting my assignment:

1.       My prayer would be that He would place me in the unit that would be best for me, whether or not that was my first choice. Check.

2.       My holiday schedule coincides with my family’s holiday schedule – I’m scheduled to have even years of Thanksgiving off, so I can see my beloved family and celebrate with them. It’s my favorite time of the year.
3.       I’ll be working on day shift – which is such a blessing as my immune system struggles during night shift rotations. It also makes it easier to change to nights if I want to down the road.

4.       The nurses on post-partum work so well together. I’ve never heard them gossip or tear each other down. I’m excited to work on a unit where the team encourages one another.

I don’t know where this hits you. Maybe you’re in a place where everything is going your way and life is great. Praise Him. Maybe you’re in a place where you didn’t get what you wanted or expected, and it’s harder to find the positives in your situation. Friend, I say this coming from a place of learning – praise Him. It’s hard, and I rarely get it right, but it’s how we learn to trust His wisdom over our own. Maybe you’re in a position full of indecision and uncertainty – rest assured, He knows you completely and will provide for you, meeting all of your needs out of His glorious riches in Christ Jesus, our Lord.

Again, I’m learning – one step forward, a few leaps backwards – but He who called us is faithful to keep us.

<3 a

ps: speaking of learning, last night i learned what a "margarona" was... whoever invented it was creative enough to toss in a Corona upside down into a margarita. how did i learn this? celebrating birthdays and friendships at a local Mexican restaurant. i'm thankful for friendly faces.

No comments: