Thursday, October 14, 2010

November 2008 - an impossible dream

"I had this "dream"/idea last year of a school/home/clinic for girls. Actually, I did a project on it for a nursing course. The goal was to have a free place for women - especially teenage girls and moms - to be able to come and live, to be educated and taught skills that would equip them to get a job, to give them free medical care - especially when it came to working with pregnant women and infants. I wanted it to be in a place where women weren't treated well - in a place where they weren't given many options if they were single or widowed or abandoned. I wanted it to be a place totally free - so that their families would have options and so that coming and attending school or living would be open to every girl, every woman, every infant, every teen.
It's a massive dream for anyone - but an "impossible" one for such a fearful person.
I'm so afraid - in my flesh I don't want to move somewhere in the bush, in the middle of a war-zone - I can't handle the atrocities, tragedies, heartbreak and grief - I'm sheltered, I always have been and I've been okay with it - I can't go to these places, work with these girls, I can't handle it. These thoughts and fears swirl in my head.
Most of them are lies. The truth is, I am sheltered- I have no idea what it's like to suffer - I've got a pretty darn cush life and I've never had to wonder or worry (that doesn't mean I don't) about where my clothing, food, education, anything will come from. The lie consists of the "I can'ts" the "it's impossible" the "you're too fearful" and the "what can you, of all people, really do to change anything?"
The thought of "they need to know there's hope - I need to know there's hope" was suddenly a target for the Holy Spirit to convict me the other day. I know there's hope, the source of Hope lives in me, yet I don't claim it or live in light of it. I don't need to go to see that there's Hope - no, Hope exists. I don't need to go to bring it, it's there - just like I don't bring Jesus or the Gospel or God anywhere - He's there already. The crazy fact that He choses to use us is not so that we can "bring" Him anywhere- but so that He brings us and introduces us as His kids - manifestations of his light, love, hope, joy, hands, feet, heart. Conviction of self-righteousness has hit like a wave the past few days... instead of seeing myself sitting down to serve as though I'm superior - I should see myself kneeling, eye-level with those I get to hang out with, serve and help as equals, even as a student who wants to learn. They don't owe me anything, they shouldn't praise me for anything.
Is a servant praised for doing his job? God's not interested in me sitting down at the feast with my side-dish - he doesn't need it, because he's got more than enough (and better) food. All He's interested in is me being there, enjoying His presence, and passing the potatoes (the blessings he's given me) to His kids - my siblings.
grace - how i want to get such scandalous grace" - me two years ago

today i began a book called Sun Stand Still by Steven Furtick and i thought of this dream, posted on this blog in November of 2008. It was born in 2007 and it has lasted throughout these three years. what i wrote then is still true and relevant, only now i might dare to ask in audacious faith for it to become a reality. i'm graduating in May, single and in a place where i never thought i would be. in his book, Furtick says something that completely struck me: "If you're not daring to believe God for the impossible, you're sleeping through some of the best parts of your Christian life. And further still: if the size of your vision for your life isn't intimidating to you, there's a good chance it's insulting to God."
i've prayed scary prayers before, but this one might top the list - that God Almighty would open up my eyes and my heart to the vision He has for me, and that i might respond in complete obedience.
<3 a

No comments: