Sunday, March 21, 2010

politics

Today, a bunch of politicians might change my life. They might take away my father’s job, not really because it’s what Americans want, but because they want to get re-elected (oh yes, some of them said that on TV). It’ll be okay, I know that. I’m not worried about dad losing his job, etc. because the Lord never fails in His faithfulness. What bugs me is that we (a general term for my generation at least) elected a man who claimed to be change because we were tired of injustice, tired of war, tired of boredom, tired of the gap between the rich and poor, you name it – so we put our hope in a politician for change. And what really annoys me, is that we elected a politician to do the church’s job.
Maybe I should explain – I'm not convinced that it’s not the government’s job to care for the poor, the widowed, the orphans, the needy, the sick, and the hopeless – it’s the Church’s job. Did Jesus tell the government to look after the “least of these”? NO – he commanded us to. And when we slack off from that responsibility and put all of our hope in secular government – lots of crap happens because it’s a broken system. I’m inclined to think that the majority of politicians don’t love those they represent – they’re not interested in what their voters really want or need – they’re interested in getting re-elected, getting paid, and they’ll do whatever it takes to accomplish their goals, not because they’re motivated by love – but because it’s politics.
It’s not just the politicians, this isn’t to bash them – it’s human nature. When was the last time I did something for someone else out of the pure motive of loving them above myself? And when did I care for the widow, the orphan – when did I stand up for the oppressed, the persecuted? When did I consider and obey the heart of Jesus, abandoning my comfort for the sake of love? Tell me, how are we (the Church, the Bride) after the heart of God, our Husband?

No comments: