Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Psalm 74 and 75

Trekking through the Psalms....

Psalm 74
(12) But You, O God, are my King from of old; You bring salvation upon the earth.
(13-17) It was you who split open the sea by your power...
It was You who crushed the heads of Leviathan...
It was You who opened up springs and streams; You dried up the ever flowing rivers. The day is Yours, and Yours also the night; You established the sun and moon.
It was You who set all the boundaries of the earth; You made both summer and winter.
(21) ...may the poor and needy praise Your name.


Psalm 75
Q: How is God revealed in this passage? Who is He? How's the Gospel revealed here?
(1) We give thanks to You, O God, we give thanks, for Your name is near; men tell of Your wonderful deeds.

**Your name --> Same used in Psalm 5:11... synonymous with God Himself. It's a "manifestation of God's character. It has no separate existence apart from the Lord, but is synonymous with the Lord Himself in His gracious manifestation and accessibility to His people. Hence... His people can pray to Him by calling on His name." ((note on Psalm 5:11))

The name of the Lord:
  • protects (Psalm 20:1; Pr 18:10)
  • saves (The Lord saves by His name) (Ps 54:1)
  • is near (His saving acts testify that His name is here) (Ps 52:9)
  • can be trusted (The Godly trust in His name) (Ps 20:7; 33:21)
  • can be hoped in (the Godly hope in His name) (Ps 52:9)
  • can be praised (the Godly sing praise in His name) (Ps 7:17; 9:2; 18:49)
  • can be rejoiced in (the Godly rejoice in His name) (Ps 89:16)
*both the "love" and "fear" that belong to God alone are similarly directed toward His name
  • love --> Psalm 69:36; 119:132
  • fear --> Psalm 61:5; 86:11; 102:15
I didn't come up with that stuff... it was in the notes in my Bible... but I thought it was cool ;)

(3) When the earth and all its people quake, it is I [God] who hold its pillars firm.
Selah

---> Psalm 11:3-4
"When the foundations are being destroyed what can the righteous do? The LORD (Yahweh) is in His holy temple; the LORD (Yahweh) is on His heavenly throne."
---> I heard a cool definition for Selah a few weeks ago "stop and worship"... and I just thought that was a cool picture. God is soo huge and so in control... just stop. and worship.

(2 + 7) You [God] say, "I choose the appointed time; it is I who judge uprightly." "But it is God who judges: He brings one down, he exalts another."

--> God is a perfect and righteous judge
--> He won't fail to judge but He'll do it in His perfect timing
--> The beauty of the Gospel, the truth of it - it alone saves us and makes us not-guilty in the courtroom of the universe.

(9) As for me, I will declare this forever; I will sing praise to the God of Jacob.

What is "this" I'm declaring?
  • That the name of the Lord is crazy amazing - I have access to Him, His grace, righteousness, and hope through His name - He is near (Phil 4:4-7).
  • I have nothing but God to "fear" --> even when the foundations of the world shake or the world order crumbles - the Lord is in control. "He is before all things and in Him all things hold together" (Colossians 1:17) "The LORD (Yahweh) is my light and my salvation - whom shall I fear? The LORD (Yahweh) is the stronghold of my life - of whom shall I be afraid?" (Ps 27:1)
  • That the Lord is a righteous judge - He alone can judge men and He alone picks His time to judge. --> the wicked will be cut down, the righteous will be lifted up NOT because the righteous deserve it or because of their deeds, but because their hope and trust is in the Lord (the Gospel) - their faith is in Him, they are dependent upon Him and they sought Him with their all.
  • I have nothing to declare but the Gospel. --> That Jesus and the cross has given me freedom from judgement, access to the Father, and freedom from the bondage of fear and slavery to sin.
amen. amen. amen.
grace and peace,
corley

No comments: