Friday, October 10, 2014

Spiritual Physics

I find myself reading about Newton’s laws of motion this morning. Yes, I’m on Wikipedia. Yes, my head is swimming with equations I don’t understand. Yes, I’m thankful I got to skip physics class – if this is physics? I’m honestly not sure if it’s English yet…
From Wikipedia, the source of all tested and approved knowledge, Newton came up with three laws of motion. The literal English translation of the laws is as follows:
Law I: Every body persists in its state of being at rest or of moving uniformly straight forward, except insofar as it is compelled to change its state by force impressed.
Law II: The alteration of motion is ever proportional to the motive force impressed; and is made in the direction of the right line in which that force is impressed.
                English please?
Law II: The change of momentum of a body is proportional to the impulse impressed on the body, and happens along the straight line on which that impulse is impressed.
                Thanks?
Law III: To every action there is always opposed an equal reaction: or the mutual actions of two bodies upon each other are always equal, and directed to contrary parts.
All of these laws in their simplest form take place in an inertial frame of reference – “a frame of reference that describes time and space homogeneously, isotropically and in a time-independent manner.”  Thanks for keeping that simple, Wikipedia? Apparently there are many types of frames of reference, and those types can be interrelated, and praise Jesus I’m not a physicist!
Why am I talking about physics on this rainy Tuesday instead of being curled up in my favorite Clemson hoodie with a cup of tea watching How I Met Your Mother on Netflix? Because I found myself ending my Monday in my lifecoach’s office and this “object persisting in a state of forward motion” met a compelling force in that black leather chair. The force of all that I was carrying, all that I was afraid to put words to, all that I was hesitant to acknowledge broke the emotional dam in my soul and flooded into the room, into the light. I was stunned by the weight of it – my chest felt heavy, my lungs burned as I inhaled, suddenly aware that I had been running and functioning, moving in one constant forward motion with a tremendous burden I was too afraid to release.
                The truth is, as little as I understand about physics, I know that we do not live in an inertial frame of reference. I know that time and space are never perfectly balanced and that humanity dwells in a time-dependent manner. I know that the force compelling me to keep moving forward is also the force that compels me to go backwards at times. I know that force is fear.  Perfectionism, the driving forward force, is the fruit of fear of man, fear of rejection, fear of failure, fear of mediocrity, fear of judgment, fear of indifference, fear of insufficient grace. 
                According to Newton, when the force that compels me in one direction meets another force, there is always an equal and opposite reaction.  Wikipedia gives the great example of walking – when I push against the floor, the floor also pushes against my foot in an equal way, allowing me to be able to walk and not fall through the floor. Again, this is within that perfect inertial frame of reference – Newton wasn’t thinking about you walking through a creaky old attic and falling through the floor boards. When it comes to interacting with people, I can see this law at play. We tend to go through life, each compelled by a forward force, but we bump up against one another don’t we? We interact and react with one another, and outside of that inertial frame of reference, that perfectly simple world, we become reactionary. Your force of anger might meet my force of fear and I react by fleeing, fighting, bottling up a burden and continuing in whatever direction you just pushed me. Your force of need just met my force of fear and I react by giving you all I can because I’m too afraid to disappoint, so I bottle up that burden and continue in whatever direction you just pushed me. Your force of fear just met my source of fear, and we’re both too afraid to call it like we see it so we continue in whatever direction the other pushed us in.
                But what happens when the force that compels us, that impresses the direction of our lives changes to something constant despite the ever changing frames of reference we find ourselves in? What happens in the law of motion when the force that compels me is not a natural force – when the force is perfectly balanced and independent of time? What happens when Jesus becomes the compelling, forward moving force in my life – when he intersects and changes the direction of my thinking, of my life, in a black leather chair and says “Walk forward this way. Let the reality of who I am, of the Gospel, be the force that compels the motion in your life.”? What happens when other people’s forces of need, fear, anger, dependence all bump against my life – when I can choose to react to their action or to continue to be compelled forward in the grace of the Gospel?
                Because maybe the Gospel is really described in Newton’s second law – I was going about my way, in a forward motion compelled by the force of fear (a slave to the force of sin) until the force of grace, of life, of freedom all found in the cross of Christ intersected my life and entirely changed its trajectory.  While the breadth and depth of the Gospel cannot be contained in a physics lesson, or in laws of motion, it can be evidenced. It can be seen. The Gospel was written by a Holy God who receives the most glory when His people find their satisfaction in a personal relationship with Him – and in His presence there is complete freedom. Complete freedom means that I don’t have to continue being compelled and impressed by natural forces – by slavery to fear or anger or codependence, by my circumstances or by yours – it means that I don’t have to be the source that fuels the force of my life. It means that Jesus has forever changed the course of my life, and with him as the compelling force I don’t have to live reactionary. It also means that when our lives intersect, the impression of Christ meets you – the Gospel intersects your life and impacts the direction of your motion in the life-giving way that my fear never could.

Father be the force that compels the motion in our lives. That we might not move forward bottling up burdens that were never meant for us to carry alone but to surrender to You. Jesus be the impressed force that sends us out into freedom, that when we intersect the lives of others we do so marked with Your compassion, grace, and wisdom. Overflow in us that we might overflow into others the life and freedom of the Gospel. 

all of my love, 
a

No comments: